Friday, May 3, 2013

Lemon Bars!

I just don't think the yumminess translates in this photo...


For some reason last week I decided that the best idea in the entire world was to make lemon bars. Then the sun smiled upon us here in the Midwest, lifting our wintery curse at last, melting the ice and snow, (although our lakes are still frozen) and I knew that lemon bars were a fantastic idea. It's like eating a bite of sugar coated summer. Just to clarify though, there is snow in our forecast for later in the week. *sigh* winter will never relinquish it's frozen grip on us.
On to the lemon bars!!
I found this recipe in an All Recipes magazine that was tucked inside the plastic sleeve of another magazine I subscribe to. I can't remember which one it piggy backed into my home with. Like a steel trap this memory of mine. I've never made lemon bars before, nor can I remember having them at all growing up. My mom is more of a traditional Minnesota dessert maker, which means apple pie, pumpkin pie, and apple or rhubarb crisp, my great grandmother was more of a snickerdoodle, what she called Russian tea cakes, and rice crispy wreath maker, and neither one of my grandmother's really made desserts. Slightly off subject, I totally googled the Russian tea cake recipe, apparently that's what they are called. Pretty sure I want to make some now. Super yummy! I can't even tell you the last time I had them. Maybe the last Christmas we had at my grandma's house, I was probably around 12 so almost 16 years ago. And since my great grandma passed away earlier this year, I could use some nostalgia really.

Back to the lemon bars. All of this was easy enough, everything worked out just the way it was supposed to with the exception of the crust. But half of it was my fault and the other half was the recipe's fault. I felt that next time I make these I should really double the crust recipe and push it up the sides of my pan a little so it creates a little lip of crust to hold that filling in. My crust is super freakishly thin and I used the size pan that the recipe told me to use. So if you're using a 9x13 pan, double the crust recipe, or else use a smaller pan. This actually might be fun to use with round cake pan (or a pie tin) and make it as a lemon pie shape instead of bars. Next time. I also had to use a little water to make my crust doughy. So if your crust isn't sticking together like it should, or it's still all crumbly, just add like 2 teaspoons of water at a time in between mixing, until it's a dough. Also, you might want to double the filling recipe, I thought it was just fine as is but there could for sure be more and it would be even more magical. I also like to line my pans with foil before making anything and I just grease that with cooking spray. I learned my lesson after a particularly sticky batch of brownies. Plus you can pop the foil out and store it that way and free up your pan. You're welcome.

Without further ramble, here is the recipe!

Allrecipes Lemon Pie Bars you can find it right HERE as well.

2 cups all purpose flour Plus 4 Tablespoons for the filling
1/2cup confectioners sugar (or powdered sugar for us non fancy term using folk)
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (I used 1/4 cup fresh and 1/4 cup bottled but you could easily use all fresh, but buy 2 lemons then)
1 tablespoon lemon zest (I zested the entire lemon because I don't have time to measure zest. It's messy and ridiculous.)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F

Mix 2 cups flour and confectioners sugar together. mix in the butter until it resembles pie dough.
Press the dough into a 9x13 baking dish.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Beat together eggs, sugar, 4 tablespoons flour, lemon juice, and zest for atleast 2 minutes. Pour the mixture over the baked crust.
Bake the bars for 20 minutes (actually it took about 30 for me so just start checking at 20 minutes and check every 5 after that.) or until the filling has set.

Sprinkle with confectioners sugar when cooled.

Makes about 24 servings.

The filling will be super thin, but it's supposed to look like that, don't worry. Just pour that stuff over your crust and pop it in the oven!



As always Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment