Saturday, May 18, 2013

Nerdly McNerdson

I may be a make up addicted, bright, platinum blonde, pink loving, glitter everything girlie girl but I'm also a nerdly mcnerdson. I'm going to be 28 next Sunday and I'm still completely in love with Harry Potter. The series has turned into my "it's bed time lets wind down by reading a chapter or two" book. Mostly because I love all of them, but also because I know what happens so I can stop after a chapter or even 3 pages. Ok, I never stop reading after 3 pages, what kind of person only reads 3 pages?  To take my Harry Potter addiction to a whole new level I decided to paint up our switch plates today. So this happened...

Quite obviously I'm not a professional letter painter but I think the slight sloppiness of it adds a little charm. Nothing in the wizarding world is perfect either. I totally know Dumbledore says "Light" not "Lights" but that's what I painted and I'm not changing it now. I let my child pick which one to put in her room and she picked the purple one, which is fantastic because I wanted the Lumos/Nox one in my room.

I wish J K Rowling would come out with more Harry Potter books. I'm not even joking. I'd read the shit out of them.  Or books about James and Sirius and their time at Hogwarts. That would make my life so completely happy, to have new Potter books to read. Darn it woman! Write some more wizard adventure books! I need to escape my reality more often now that I'm an adult and those would totally help yo.

Just an fyi, my child knows all the basics, her name, her address, her phone number, and all about Harry Potter. That child can pick out Harry Potter movie music from the other side of the house. I can't wait to start reading her the series, however, some of the content in books 4 - 7 is a little too much for someone so young. Maybe next year. Really probably a couple years from now.


I'm also obsessed, seriously obsessed, with the HBO series Game of Thrones. Not so much with Robb and his whole king of the north shit. And I'm not really into the junk going down with Jon Snow and the wall. But the Kings Landing drama, Daenerys, Arya Stark's plight, and The Hound's story, all over that. Plus I find Rory McCann like freakishly attractive so I'm just happy when Sandor is in any scene doing anything really. I don't think I've had a ridiculous fangirl crush on someone like this since before Nsync said Bye Bye Bye. It's on the actor by the way, not the character, although The Hound does have a certain appeal in the show, I've heard he's much more vicious in the books though so I could see the appeal going out the window there.
I feel bad for Sansa Stark, like for a while there I was just tired of her whiney little attitude about everything, but now I actually feel sorry for her. She had hope with Loras, only to have it ripped right out from under her, he may be gay but atleast he wouldn't be cruel to her. She's realized that she's been a stupid girl but it's pretty sad to see how defeated she is. I suppose that's reality for you, always waiting to bitch slap you when you least expect it.
I'm going to throw it out there and say that I kind of like Queen Cersei. Totally unpopular opinion I'm sure. I mean she's really not as smart as she thinks she is, but in my opinion, she's kind of a product of survival, she is what she had to become to not be just as broken as Sansa. Which is to say, she's become cold. I'm not into the brother lovin though so lets move away from that craziness for the moment. I can totally relate to having your earth just shattered and coping by becoming cold, cut off, and decide that you really just need to be more cunning then everyone else to never have that happen again. Just saying.
Pretty sure every single woman who watches the show loves the Khaleesi. To watch her grow from a weak little person to what she is now, rocks. Her character is pretty fantastic. I'm still sad that Khal Drogo died, I think they would have been a rocking team, but I suppose if he had never died and been burned the dragons would have never been hatched. Maybe though, I'm pretty sure she realized what she was at some point, blood of the dragon awesomeness.
How can you not be super interested in Arya Stark? All she wants is revenge and everything that can go wrong, does for her. Ok, revenge isn't all she wants but it's all I want for her. And with her interaction with Melisandre all "I see darkness in you, and in that darkness eyes staring back at me, brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you'll shut forever."  Chilling and fantastic.  And kind of hopeful that she'll have her revenge that she wants so badly. Although it makes me kind of sad because she's really still just a little girl. She shouldn't have to shoulder so freakin much. Also, it's kind of driving me crazy that everyone keeps saying that Gendry was professing his love for Arya by saying she wouldn't be his family she'd be milady. Um no. Pretty sure he was saying they'd never be family because she'd always be higher then him. They'd never be equals. But maybe that's just me.
I keep saying I'm going to read the books (can I really nerd out to something if I've never read the book?) but then I keep getting farther and farther into the series and I keep putting it off. I'm saying now that after this season is done I'll start reading.

**Hunger Game Spoilers Below**
I also love The Hunger Games trilogy. I pretty much hated Katniss for the majority of the books, I mean how hard is it to make a flippin decision? Like what's up, freakin Peeta loves you, stop being a jerk. She just made it sooooo much more complicated the it should have been. Also, who saw the Quarter Quell twist coming? *Snap* The ending, not the Peeta/Katniss happily ever after ending, but the ending of the assault on the capitol was pretty interesting as well.  Poor Finnick and his poor son who will be raised by a crazy person who is so damaged apparently she can barely function. I also loved how it's kind of a love story without it being the central plot. Like yeah Katniss can't cope with her feelings but she's got bigger problems at this point. I also love Panem, all dystopian, broken up into districts with varying degrees horrors and suffering. Last thing. I did love one thing about Katniss. How strong she is, how she's broken, she's been broken by everything that's happened to her, but she keeps going. It sucks and it hurts and it's hard, but she doesn't just lay down and die.

I'm certain there are other things I nerd out to but I'm drawing a blank at this moment. I'll probably have a nerdly mcnerdson part 2. Or not. Whatever.



No comments:

Post a Comment