Thursday, April 11, 2013

Green Veggie Snack Chips

Quite obviously I've already busted into the large bag on the left and my daughter and I ate 2 small bags of the sweet potato chips before I remembered that I should probably get a photo. These are delicious! I love them and my 4 year old daughter loves them as well. 

Here's the word on these chips from The Jolly Green Giant himself. Ok not really but this is some info on the product. Does everyone remember when the Jolly Green Giant had a son and he was this adorable little sprout of a kid? No? I'm the only one then... I googled it, apparently he wasn't his son he was his apprentice and ironically his name was Sprout. Is he still on the commercials? I haven't seen a Green Giant commercial in ages. You can find him HERE and totally go to the bottom and check out the 1937 Green Giant, kind of scary.  Ps, I'm pretty sure I need to go see this Green Giant statue in Blue Earth MN, which also happens to be my home state, I had no idea he lived here. Anyway....

  • Roasted Veggie Tortilla Chips with Zesty Cheddar are crispy tortilla chips made with real vegetables like carrot, broccoli, and tomato, plus 17g of whole grain

  • Multigrain Sweet Potato Chips with Sea Salt are made with real sweet potatoes and 14g of whole grain, with 40% less fat than regular potato chips*

  • *Green Giant Multigrain Sweet Potato Chips (6g per 28g serving) have 40 percent less fat than regular potato chips (10g per 28g serving).

    Now lets be real about this. The cheddar cheese chips do indeed have carrot, broccoli, and tomato in their ingredient list. However, they are in the 2% or less category. Red and Green bell peppers are in the top 4 ingredients though!  I'm going to compare these to another popular cheese flavored chip, the Green Giant chips (which have the same serving size) have the same amount of calories, 1 gram less fat, .5 grams less Saturated fat,  about 20 grams less sodium,  2 grams more carbohydrates, 2 grams more sugar, and the same amount of protein.

    They aren't really any more or less healthy then another popular cheese chip. I'm not a huge fan of other cheese chips because I'm not big on tons of cheese powder. These have a small hint of cheese flavor and the rest is multigrain chip taste, which is yummy. They do have a slightly strange aftertaste, almost oily tasting, but not quite as horrible as that sounds.

    The multigrain sweet potato chips with seat salt have dried sweet potato in the top 4 ingredients. Compared to a popular regular potato chip nutrition label, the Green Giant chips have about 50 grams less calories, half the fat, 0 saturated fat, about 105 grams less sodium, the same amount of carbs, slightly less fiber, double the sugar, and half the protein.  
    They compare about the same to another popular multigrain chip except it has less protein and fiber. I just feel like a multigrain chip should have those things. But maybe that's just me.

    So these atleast have less sodium then regular chips, and that rocks!
    The multigrain sweet potato chips taste awesome, like a multigrain chip with just a hint of salt. These have a more prominent oily aftertaste though and I'm not sure I like that part of these. I'm on the fence, I like the taste of them as I'm eating them but that aftertaste really isn't pleasant. I also love that they have less sodium then regular chips. But I still can't commit to them.

    Overall, I would definitely buy the Green Giant Roasted Veggie Tortilla Chips with Zesty Cheddar, but I'm not totally sure about the Multigrain Sweet Potato Chips with Sea Salt.  I really feel like these are definitely worth a try if you are into multigrain chips, which I totally am.

    Both of these retail for about  $2.99 and you can find them in your grocer's snack isle. You can find them on the Green Giant website HERE if you would like to research them further.

    **I received this product sample from BzzAgent for review.
    This is my honest opinion of this product. I do not get paid to give a good review.**

    No comments:

    Post a Comment