Thursday, April 4, 2013

Food Network's February and March Cake!



February's cake had us in chocolate heaven! It's a chocolate cake, with a chocolate pudding type filling, a chocolate whipped frosting, and a chocolate ganache poured over the top.  I made it for my family on valentine's day, everyone enjoyed it. But be warned, it is super rich and very chocolaty. I do love that it uses semi sweet chocolate though, I found it easier to enjoy then some milk chocolate cakes that tend to be too rich and you can't thoroughly enjoy your treat.  I thought this was rather time consuming, but pretty easy to make. It took me several hours (maybe 4 including cake cooking time and waiting for the chocolate to cool) just to complete the frosting, filling, and topping, I won't lie it was super annoying and made me never want to make this cake again. However, once I tasted it, I immediately thought "I need to make this again". It's that yummy. Enough to make me forget how long it took me to make it and want to make it again.  With the topping, I ended up just pouring it all in the middle top and using a spatula to spread it out over the edges. Make sure you let it set before you cut it! And try not to eat too much of the frosting before you actually frost it.  I had initially planned on putting candy hearts on this, but once I tasted it I knew any other embellishments were unnecessary. If you like chocolate, you'll LOVE this cake. Even my plain jane vanilla loving dad enjoyed this cake.

You'll be using the basic chocolate cake recipe, which you can find it on the Food Network website HERE

Chocolate Blackout Cake (Food Network Magazine)
You can find this recipe on the Food Network website HERE

Enjoy!

 
 
March gave us a Grasshopper cake. It was good, but not in a, "I'd like to eat this entire cake" way. It was more of a "I'll have one piece and never touch this again" cake. I did have a good time eating my way through quite a bit of the frosting though. It's basically whipping cream and sugar with little chocolate chips on top. Hello awesomeness! I wasn't going to dye the filling until I saw the boogery khaki gray color it really is. I ended up ransacking the house for our food coloring. Obviously I'm all for dying the filling. If you want it to look as yummy as it tastes, then you'll want to dye the filling. I also added like half a bag of mini chocolate chips to the filling, instead of the 3 tablespoons it says in the recipe. Um, pretty sure more chocolate chips is always a wonderful thing. I also added about half the peppermint extract that the recipe called for and didn't put any in the topping. It was more then enough peppermint. This cake was super easy to make, although the most frustrating for me because I didn't lay out my ingredients ahead of time and most of them were hidden in the Christmas cookie box. Note to self: Find your ingredients ahead of time!   I found this one the least visually appealing, I think because it was only supposed to be frosted on the top, the sides were supposed to be completely bare. This bothered me though so I put way too much filling in and pushed down so it would ooze out and pulled the topping down to the sides of the top layer. You'll see, there is more then enough topping to pull down and cover the entire cake, but I had a hard time getting the whipped topping to look right. You can't see the back but it was a mess, I tried to frost the entire cake and it was not happening. So I settled for the top layer. So, if you're into mint and chocolate this is the cake for you! I wouldn't make this for a birthday cake though, unless the person I made it for was super super into mint and chocolate, but it's a fun fresh cake just for the heck of it!

You'll need the Grasshopper frosting/filling recipes which you can find HERE 
And the Basic Chocolate Cake recipe which is HERE

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment