Sunday, June 2, 2013

Awesome Flea Market Find! Sally Hansen Salon Effects!



So, as we do every Saturday morning, we found ourselves at the flea market near our home. Normally it's ungodly hot and we don't generally go into the small buildings turned shops, rather we stay outside and walk through the sea of awnings. Today, however, it was chilly and overcast so we ended up browsing inside. The last shop we walked into was full to bursting with beauty products at ridiculously discounted prices. I was in heaven and had to exercise all of my restraint in order not to spend every last penny in my pocket. I did find something I couldn't resist though. In the very back corner was a bin full of Sally Hansen Salon Effects nail polish strips. I started to claw my way through them hoping to find a design that I couldn't live without. I ended up stumbling upon a bunch of Halloween themed strips, much to my delight. I'm crazy about anything Halloween themed, the cheesier the better honestly. I ended up with 4 boxes, and at $2 a piece how could I say no? I picked 3 Halloween themed ones and one beautifully delicate flower pattern that in no way suits my normal tastes but it reminded me of my mom and made me smile so I couldn't turn it down.

I ended up with "How Corny" a shimmery candy corn pattern on a silver background
I'm sorry for the flash in all of these, I had a hard time getting it not to reflect on the outer package and didn't want to open them all at once.

"Numbskull" which has a black skull and crossbone pattern on a white background


"Patch-O-Lanterns" which has orange jack o lantern faces on a black background


and Good Morning Glory which has a purple flower pattern on a white background.
Again, sorry for the flash, I had a really hard time with this one I think because the colors are so light as well.

The Halloween themed ones are from their 2012 Halloween collection and the Morning Glory one is also from a 2012 collection. So they are a little out of date but I'm not going to be picky.
I like the polish strips because my nails are naturally very soft and the polish strips are pretty flexible so they bend with my nails instead of crack like normal polish does. These normally last a couple weeks on me, depending on what I'm doing and if I give them time to fully adhere to my nails before getting my hands wet. I also love me some nail art and lets just face it, I do not have a steady hand. I'll never be a brain surgeon and I'll never be able to paint fun little pictures on my nails. These are about a 6 on the difficulty scale to position, but once you get them in place the rest is smooth sailing. 
Each kit comes with 16 strips, such an odd number, but you can totally cut the others up and use them as tips if you'd like, which is what I do. It seems a waste to just throw them away really. They also come with a little wooden stick to push back your cuticles, a mini file one smooth side to smooth your nails, half a rough side to shape your nails, and half a medium/smooth side to trim the nail strips. And there is a set of instructions.
Just to show how nicely everything is packaged
As I said before, you can cut these any way you'd like, you could do stripes, tips, or cut them diagonally to do a half nail polish/half design. These say to start with a clean nail, but they will stick to nail polish as well, it just doesn't last as long. If you do put them over nail polish make sure to slap a couple layers of top coat over it to help it stay on. I do that even when I just use the strip itself just to help protect the design. Although you don't actually "need" a top coat, these are pretty shiny on their own. Another fun tip is to run one of your nails or the edge of the wooden stick (just be careful not to rip the strip!) along the edges to help seal it down.

So in the end it should look something like this!

You can find these at Walmart and certain drug stores, Target has the Kiss polish strips which are fantastic as well. They retail for about $8.50 normally.  If you'd like to check them out on the Sally Hansen website you can do so HERE.

Enjoy!




**I purchased these with my own money, these are my true and honest opinions, I do not get paid to give good reviews**

No comments:

Post a Comment